2011-05-06

I'm from Davao City, recently bought a '96 surplus Ford E-350 ambulance with the 351 V8 but unhappy with its fuel consumption, considering a diesel swap. What would be your advice? I don't care about the automatic gearbox, no problem to swap it for manual

A very usual option to repower these full-size American vans have been surplus drivelines from the Nissan Patrol/Safari but since the vans usually remain RWD only the transfer case and front axle of the Nissan are not used. The transfer case, however, could be good to retain and use as a kind of auxiliary transmission due to its low range favorable to uphill drive. But instead of the LD28, RD28 or TD42 inline-six engines from Nissan I honestly believe you would be OK with the Isuzu 4.3L 4HF1 out of an NPR or a 4.6L 4HFG1 from the NQR, both have a good torque and wouldn't be so tight to fit into the engine bay. Also, since Isuzu trucks use cable-shifted transmissions it would also be a good option because you would have more freedom to put the shifter in a place where it would be easily accessible and more comfortable to operate.

Feel free to question

5 comments:

Carolina Cunha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dieselboy sa Maynila said...

Actually if we, who you call "diesel team" didn't care about your thoughts and opinions I wouldn't allow you to express'em in my blog. But an ambulance siren can easily be louder than any current Isuzu diesel. So now I just can say I'm sorry for being an impolite and poor mechanic who had a dream for a healthier world where we could take deeper breathes of an air with improved quality.

Hiroshi Abe said...

I'm proud to be entering the diesel team soon. I also own a Ford van but mine is a 150 with the 4.9 I-6 that is going to be replaced by a 70hp Komatsu non-turbo I-4 out of a skidsteer.

Joe said...

Only those who never entered in an ambulance can say bad things about diesel engines in ambulances.

Lee said...

Automatic transmissions are a good feature for an ambulance. A smoother ride can be helpful to a severely wounded patient and it's better to maneuver in tight spaces without the need to be controlling a clutch pedal.